Did you know that Facebook accounts account for approximately a third of the lives of average people? How about all social media usage in the United Kingdom One hour and fifty minutes a day is spent on social media in the United Kingdom.
If you are interested in learning more about the United Kingdom’s social media statistics, continue reading.
The Top 10 Social Media Statistics for the United Kingdom in 2022
Social media is used by 53 Million people in the United Kingdom. That’s 77.9%.
- The majority of UK consumers access social media via their mobile phones.
- The average person in the United Kingdom spends 110 hours per day on social networking sites.
- The UK has a 66 per cent social media penetration and a 94.9 Percent internet penetration.
- In 2020, 80% of UK internet users were on social media at the least once a week.
- 43 million of the UK’s 45million social media users use Facebook.
- In the United Kingdom 30% of Instagram users are between 25-34 years of age.
- In the United Kingdom, 57% of Instagram users are women.
- The United Kingdom has 87 percent of all children between 12 and 15 years old with a social media account.
- TikTok is used by approximately 3.7 million people in the United Kingdom.
Let’s take a look at the data and see some UK social media usage statistics now that we’ve got some interesting stats.
UK Social Media Statistics: User Behaviors and Reach
The UK had 53 million users of social media in 2021.
39 million people are using social media on their mobile phones.
Surprisingly, only 67% use social media in the UK, despite 95% of the population using the internet. However, UK’s social media penetration, at 66%, is much higher than the global average 45 percent.
The average UK user spends an average of 102 minutes per week on social media (one-hour and 42 minutes, respectively).
Although the UK’s social media use has increased by 4.4% between 2020-2021, only 13% actually use it for work.
In 2020, 77% UK social media users will actively post or contribute to social media.
This is evident by the fact that each of 45 million UK social media users has on average seven accounts.
Let’s look at how children use social media in the United Kingdom.
18% of 8-11-year-olds in the United Kingdom have a profile on social media.
It is worth noting, however, that this percentage rises up to 87 percent when children are between 12 and 15. Children’s social media use should be monitored closely as they are still minors. Cyber predators lurk around every corner.
There are many types of social media usage within the United Kingdom. First, platform utilisation. This will include statistics on social media usage by age in the United Kingdom.
Now we can see the usage statistics of Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and other major social media platforms within the United Kingdom.
UK Social Media Statistics: Platform
You can view some of the most popular social media sites in the United Kingdom.
The following data shows you some Facebook usage statistics and demographics for the United Kingdom.
- Facebook has 51 million users in the United Kingdom by 2020.
- Facebook is the most visited social network in the United Kingdom, with 54.19% of all visits.
- 74% of Facebook users visit the site at least once per day.
- In the United Kingdom, an average Facebook user comments 7 posts each month.
- Only 21% UK adults have ever used Facebook.
- Nearly nine out of ten internet users in Britain visit Facebook every month. They spend an average of 23 minutes per site each day.
23 minutes per day doesn’t seem like much, right? The number of hours we spend on facebook and other social media platforms every day skyrockets when we add in time spent on google, instagram and other platforms.
Track your social media usage regularly and keep an eye on it. Remember that it can have an effect on your personal and mental health.
These demographics might interest you on Facebook:
- 52% of Facebook users in Britain are females.
- The majority of Facebook users living in the UK are between 25-34 years of age.
- In the UK, users aged 65+ increased by 4% to 10% in 2020. Women account for 52%.
- In 2020, 43% thought about abandoning the platform.
- The United Kingdom has a staggering 69 percent of 12-15-year-olds who admit to using Facebook.
The UK’s largest user group is 25-34 year olds. However, users 18-24 years old have declined from 24% to 16% between 2012 and 2020.
LADBible has 1.6 billion Facebook views and is the most popular video maker within the United Kingdom.
Manchester United is the UK’s most popular Facebook group, with more than 73 million members.
According to UK social media data in March 2020, Amazon UK was with 5.73 million fans the most popular brand page on Facebook. UNREEL came second with approximately 4.86million fans.
This analysis of Twitter trends and demographics in the United Kingdom might interest you if you use Twitter.
- The UK had a 24% Twitter penetration rate in 2019.
- Twitter users in the United Kingdom are split with 44% being women and 56 percent being men.
- Twitter users are most likely to be between 25-34 years old in the United Kingdom.
- SocialPilot polls show that the average Twitter user spends just 2.7 minutes a day on Twitter.
- 31% of UK users on Twitter are contemplating quitting the platform in 2020.
BBC News is the UK’s most popular Twitter account with 37 million followers. Harry Styles is next with 36 million.
Instagram has more than 1 billion global users. It is certain to be one of the most used platforms in 2020. Let’s see how the UK ranks in terms of Instagram use and key demographics.
- In November 2020, there were 27 million active Instagram users in the UK, representing 40.6 percent of the country’s population.
- A majority of Instagram users in Britain are between 25 and 34 years old, which accounts for 30% of all Instagram users.
- Only 24% (in the UK) of Instagram users thought about quitting by 2020.
- In 2020, 56% of UK female social media users used Instagram.
According to Ofcom, Instagram users spend 6 minutes per day on average in the United Kingdom. Add in activities like viewing videos on Instagram and we are talking about 15 minutes a day. The largest age gap is found among adults over 45, where women have a greater number of men than women by 800.000.
Priyanka Chopra Jonas has 68.1 million followers and Manchester United has 37.4 millions.
The top five Instagram celebrities in the United Kingdom are Priyanka Chopra Jonas (Ed Sheeran), Eden Hazard, James Charles and Avani.
We have discovered the Instagram habits of the British public. However, YouTube is quite different. Let’s take a look at the demographics and statistics of YouTube usage in the United Kingdom.
In 2019, YouTube had 2 Billion monthly active users.
YouTube had 2.64 percent market share in the United Kingdom for online social media platforms in 2020.
VAB reports that YouTube users in the UK average 38 minutes per week on the platform.
Statista estimates that 14% UK users used the platform at minimum once per day in 2018.
The UK’s YouTube penetration rate in 2019 was 78 percent.
The average household income in the United Kingdom is more than £48,000.
Surprisingly 33% of UK users view YouTube videos at least once per day. One Direction, Ed Sheeran, and Adele are just a few of the most popular YouTube users in the United Kingdom. YouTube is also the most used medium for influencer-marketing on social media. You can buy uk real youtube views.
LinkedIn, a job-searching website that can be accessed through mobile apps and websites, is very popular in the United Kingdom. Let’s examine how UK social media users use LinkedIn and what interesting UK demographics do with it.
The United Kingdom has more than 30 million LinkedIn users in November 2020. This represents 45.7 percent of its total population.
LinkedIn users in Britain are mostly between 25-34 years of age.
The United Kingdom saw 30% of LinkedIn users use the platform less than once per week.
LinkedIn isn’t considered a universal social media platform like the other, but these figures show that it is much more used in the United Kingdom then TikTok.
These are some fascinating statistics regarding TikTok in the United Kingdom.
TikTok, although still relatively new, is seeing rapid development in the United Kingdom. It is especially popular among children and people aged 18-24. Statista predicts that TikTok will reach 12.5 millions users in the UK by 2024.
6 Million monthly active TikTok user in the UK were reported as of May 2020.
TikTok is used over 1,000,000 times per month in the United Kingdom.
Averagely, TikTok users spend 41 minute per day.
The majority (26%) of UK users are between the ages 18-24.
With £1.95 million in revenue in 2019, the United Kingdom came in third behind China and the United States.
Holly H is the UK’s most beloved TikTok influencer and has more than 16.6 million followers.
TikTok enjoyed its best month ever with 420 091 downloads in January
TikTok will have 10 million users by 2021.
Communication apps in the UK work very differently for users than social media platforms like Instagram or Facebook.
Let’s examine some of the most used communication applications in the UK and their usage statistics.
Communication Platforms: Social Media Statistics at the United Kingdom
Messenger on Facebook
- The United Kingdom had 35.62 Million Messenger users in July 2021.
- 54.3 per cent of Facebook Messenger users in Britain are women.
- The largest user group are those between 25 and 34 years old.
- The largest disparity between men & women is found among the 65-plus age group, where women are more prevalent than males by 700.000.
According to Social Media Statistics UK (SMS UK), more than 20,000,000 messages are exchanged each day between Facebook Messenger users around the globe. Simultaneously SMS is still the most popular messaging service, with more than 23 billion text messages being received each day across the globe.
WhatsApp is another popular messaging app in the UK. More than 60 billion messages are sent worldwide every day.
Check out the following points to see how WhatsApp performs in the United Kingdom.
- There are 30.1 Million WhatsApp users in the United Kingdom.
- A survey of 80% of UK respondents revealed that WhatsApp is the most popular messaging app.
- Statista found that the average WhatsApp user spends 28.4 minutes per days, according to a 2016 survey.
- WhatsApp has a 58% penetration rate in the United Kingdom.
According to UK social data data, around 85 percent WhatsApp users are between 26-35 years old, while people 75 and older account for only 13 per cent of all WhatsApp users. Statista research shows that only 7% of UK social network users anticipate leaving the platform in 2020.
You may be familiar with Snapchat. Here are some fun facts and figures on it.
Snapchat is used many times daily by 63 percent UK social media users.
There were more than 10 million Snapchat users in the United Kingdom as of May 2020.
Snapchat has a 30% penetration rate in the United Kingdom.
The UK saw 37% of those surveyed considering abandoning the platform by 2020.
Snapchat lost 14% in the UK of its total advertising viewership for 2019
Statista’s 2020 study found that 57% of UK Snapchat users are between 15 and 25 years old, with just 3% of the older generation using the app. According to these social data, Snapchat, TikTok and Instagram are the most popular social networking platform among the UK’s young population.
The Conclusion Of This Article…
…but it’s only the beginning of social media statistics in the United Kingdom. We all know that social media usage will continue to grow in the future. And if 2021 taught any lesson, it is that scrolling through the social media feeds at home is the most secure option.